Friday, October 1, 2010

Smells and the City

I realize I am now exactly 10 months too late to create a blog that follows my adventures living in the big apple. Oops! But nonetheless here I am; October 1st.  Although late, this may be a way to provide a more entertaining blog considering all I have already experienced.


My first blog subject came to me this morning as I was leaving the gym. I was crossing the street and I experienced a whiff of something amazing.  It was a street cart cooking somethin' up for breakfast.  Most likely it was something I could never partake in if I have any interest in fitting in my jeans this fall but it did smell amazing.  Way to shock the starving stomach after an intense work out and the last month of starvation.


 As I continued my walk headed to my cousin's house I walked south. Only about half a  block later the delightful scent was gone and all I could smell was urine. All I could see was urine.  Did 20 dogs just relieve themselves in this exact spot? Probably, that's New York.  My stomach quickly transformed from a growling hunger to something I'd rather not remember. At this point I have no choice but to take a giant step and trek on. 


As soon as the smell had turned toxic it dissipated.  The rain came down like the heavens were angry and my senses were overwhelmed with the smell of wet concrete.  This is my ultimate favorite smell.  I love to smell the rain before it actually falls. Of course I am umbrella"less." As I looked around I quickly realized that no one around me seems to even notice the rain.  In fact no one around me had even noticed the repulsive smells from before. Is it just me? Am I the only one that find the smells in the city so intriguing?

Ten months into this adventure I am fascinated with new experiences.  Like my walk this morning, my time here has been just that.  There are moments of pure bliss that are quickly masked by something unpleasant all before I experience moments that take my breath away like the smell of the rain.

1 comment: